Vegan Gravy & [Not So Vegan] Biscuits
I'll admit, being vegan requires some painstaking planning ahead in many situations. Thanksgivings, road trips, and even everyday meals require a bit of foresight to make sure healthy, nutritious, animal-free options are on hand. Last night, while planning to have breakfast for dinner ["brinner"], I failed to properly plan ahead. You see, as a pescetarian, I had already converted my mother's sausage gravy recipe into vegetarian fare that even the omnivores loved. This recipe easily transforms itself into vegan with the addition of Earth Balance and almond milk [in place of butter and cow's milk] so I was excited to give it a try. However, I failed to consider the fact that my usual pre-packaged canister of Pilsbury biscuits was not vegan [it contains 2% or less of whey, a dairy product]. In a time crunch and starving by the time dinner came around, I settled for the non-vegan biscuits. But rest assured, I WILL find a vegan-friendly recipe by the next brinner occasion.
In the meantime, here's my oh-so-delicious vegan gravy recipe [excuse the lack of exact measurements, my mother and I are approximate measurers]:
4-6 tbsp Earth Balance spread 1/2 tube Gimme Lean Sausage 1/4 cup whole wheat or organic all-purpose flour 1 quart almond or soy milk [less milk will likely be used, but you may need it for thinning later] Ground Pepper, Sea Salt, & Chili Powder
- Over high heat, melt 2-3 tbsp Earth Balance spread in a large skillet [I use my wok].
- Add 1/2 tube Gimme Lean sausage to melted butter and divide into small pieces with spatula or mixing spoon.
- Once sausage has browned, add a few more tbsp Earth Balance [enough to create a shallow pool of melted butter within the skillet].
- Add flour slowly, stirring in a bit at a time until the mixture has the consistency of a thick paste.
- Reduce heat slightly and add milk slowly until desired gravy thickness has been achieved.
- Add pepper, salt, & chili powder to taste. [I prefer lots of pepper, very little salt, and a dash of chili powder.]
- Serve gravy over your choice of biscuits. Enjoy! [I'll post a vegan biscuit choice of my own once I find one.]